Nov 5, 2019

Commercial Editing Blog

Today we planned to start editing our commercials again. Luckily, we actually could this time. Since our editing software on the desktop computers hasn't been working, we had to wait until it had been downloaded on the laptops. They had been finished, and we got to get them today. So, today was our first day of editing our commercial projects. I wasn't sure at first whether I would have enough time to finish or not. Our teacher told us that we need to be done by the end of class on Thursday, which happens to be a PSD. PSD's are very short, so I was nervous over how much time I'd need to finish editing. Fortunately, I finished almost the entire thing in class today, so I'm feeling much more prepared for turning it in.

The first laptop I had didn't work. It said it was loading, but after ten minutes I decided it would be faster to just get a different one. After I had a working computer, it was much easier to turn on and log in. I plugged in my flash drive and made sure it was working. Opening Pinnacle Studios was way more difficult for me than it probably should have been. Every time I tried to click on it to open, it would seem like it was just loading but then nothing would come up. Eventually, I managed to do it right. I could finally start importing my footage. I clicked on Import, then on the name of my flash drive. From there, I just had to upload the file ("Com") that contained all of my footage.

Beginning the actual editing process was frustrating. I kept accidentally editing the footage pieces themselves, rather than what was in the track already. That lead to confusion on my part as to whether it was actually working or not. Once I realized that that was why the footage wasn’t changing as I rewatched it, it was easy to fix. I just deleted the clips on the track that I had meant to edit. Then, I replaced them with the full clips, which were already edited. There was one part that I found a little bit tricky when editing. There is a scene in my commercial where the subject is walking down the hall, and the next shot is of him standing closer to the camera. I wanted to use one piece of audio to go over the two different shots, which at first I didn't know how to do. How I ended up completing it was by editing the first shot so that it ended right before the part in the audio that I wanted over the first shot. Then, I cut the second shot to only be as long as the audio I was putting over it. Finally, I muted the second one put the entirety of the first one into the third track, so that the audio would play from the beginning of one to the end of the other, uninterrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment